Tuesday 2 June 2009

Dan Abnett


Now I know a lot of people dismiss sci-fi lovers as geeks and saddos, and even more so those into roleplay games and the like. But these people are missing out some fantastic writing, and none come more fantastic than Mr Dan Abnett. 

A large portion of Dan's work is set in the Warhammer 30k and 40k universes of Games Workshop, published by the Black Library.

I have to confess I came to the party a little late on this one, but ever since I picked up the first Gaunt's Ghost's omnibus, "The Founding", Ive been totally hooked.  I went on holiday to Mexico for a week last year, and took nothing but a huge pile of Abnett with me, and it was the same drill when I went on my honeymoon earlier this year. 

His writing is fast paced, exciting and attention grabbing. His work is littered with characters that you not only like, but really care for. Believe me when one of them bites the bullet you really feel it! His most lengthy, and ongoing, series is the aforementioned "Gaunt's Ghost's".  Now up to eleven, action packed volumes with number twelve in the pipeline. One critic wrote "he makes war so real you want to duck!", and its hard to argue with that, from battlefields across Imperium and beyond Abnett never lets you rest for a minute. Quite simply Dan Abnett is one of the finest writers of sci-fi  around. If your missing him then your missing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment